Dance (Musical Theatre) Level 3
Mon Sep 05 2022
Day / Time
This specialist dance course focused on the skills required within Musical Theatre performance. Working towards a UAL Level 3 Extended Diploma in Performance and Production over 2 years, this exciting new course will provide dance-based training in musical theatre and will enable you to progress on to a Higher Education course with confidence, secure in the knowledge that you are prepared for the rigorous demands of the industry.
You will combine in-depth vocal and acting training with dance techniques, tailored to explore material from the world of professional theatre. Throughout the course, you will have the opportunity to master the art of acting through song, combining disciplines that will give you the skills necessary to produce moving theatrical performances. You'll learn new and challenging material for performance, as well as receive individualised feedback and development targets from your tutor.
Performance opportunities will give you the chance to shine and put what you have learned into practice.
The course is made up of the following core disciplines:
- Dance – The foundation of all dance is technique and therefore you will take part in weekly classes in classical ballet and azz technique, as well as jazz performance, contemporary, musical theatre and choreography.
- Singing – Expert tuition in the art of Musical Theatre singing is an essential part of this pathway. Specialist vocal tutors will work with you as an indivivual and as part of a group in practical classes which include: vocal development, harmony, audition presentation, musical theatre repertoire and performance technique.
- Acting – As performance is at the centre of every class, the ability to act is vital to deliver a professional performance through song, dance or monologue.
- Acting through song – You will work on a range of songs with our experienced, industry professionals, who will help you select the best musical theatre pieces for your voice. Each week you will work on your delivery with your group, in a supportive and inclusive environment to build your confidence performing solos and ensemble numbers.
On this course, you will:
- Learn to combine advanced techniques across vocal and dance
- Work on solo and ensemble singing with individualised feedback
- Participate in technical warm ups to refine singing, dance and acting techniques
- Add expression and confidence to your performances
- Perform in a range of showcases internally and at external venues
Professional practice is also a key part of the course and you'll take part in:
- Career workshops with industry professionals: performers and choreographers, including CYD (subject to lockdown restrictions) and a residential to Move it
- Audition classes with guest vocal coaches and choreographers which will prepare you for the audition process to specialist vocational schools
- Professional headshot photoshoot and insight in to writing an industry relevant CV
What qualification will I receive?
After year 1: UAL Diploma in in Performing & Production Arts which is equivalent to 1 and ½ A Levels After year 2: UAL Extended Diploma in Performing & Production Arts which is equivalent to 3 A Levels
Four GCSE grades at 4 or above, including either English or maths, or a relevant qualification at Level 2 or appropriate experience plus an audition.
This course is free to those aged under 19 years old.
Most people aged 19 years and over can qualify for free or reduced price course fees and there are grants and bursaries you can apply for to help cover the costs of coming to college, depending on your circumstances.
If you already have a full level 3 qualification and are aged 19 years over, you can apply for an Advanced Learning Loan or pay the fee upfront in full and qualify for a 10% discount.
You can get more information at our enrolment events, by calling 0191 490 2246 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Whatever support you need, we’re here for you and will make sure you get the most out of your time at college.
We have expert teams in place to look after every single one of our students.
Our specialist teams can help with:
- Learning difficulties
- Physical and sensory disabilities
- Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, ADHD, Asperger’s Syndrome or other specific learning difficulties
- Mental health and well being
- Exam access arrangements
- Money, finance and bursary advice
- Careers advice, job and university applications