Ford Engineering Academy Level 1
Mon Sep 06 2021
Day / Time
Skills Academy - Automotive
Ford Engineering, one of the most successful engineering businesses in our region, has teamed up with Gateshead College to set up the Ford Engineering Academy.
Designed to help you to build the skills, knowledge and confidence employers are looking for, the academy will put you in the best possible position to go onto successfully secure an engineering or manufacturing apprenticeship or your first job in the industry.
- Training programme designed by one of the most successful engineering companies in our region
- Practical skills training based on what employers want
- High quality work experience placement
- Embedded English and maths skills
- Help to find you an apprenticeship
- Brilliant progression opportunities
About the academy
Pioneered by the late Geoff Ford MBE, the academy was set up to give young people the skills, knowledge and experience they need to start a successful engineering career or find an apprenticeship. As Chairman of Ford Engineering, a multi million pound business that supplies precision-machined components to the global aerospace market, Geoff recognised a need to provide good quality, foundation training that focused on developing both the skills and attitudes that employers are looking for and was passionate about helping the sector to develop a skilled workforce of the future.
This year long training programme has been designed for those without any formal qualifications but with the aspiration and ambition to work in the engineering or manufacturing industry. The programme combines education and skills training that is specifically tailored to the engineering industry and will help you to build the skills you need to successfully move onto an apprenticeship or further training. At the core of the programme is a high quality work experience placement with one of our partners including Unipres, Liebherr, Tyneside Safety Glass and Kavli. English and maths qualifications and work preparation training are also a key part of the course which will give you a brilliant start to developing the skills, attitude and a work ethic expected by employers.
The programme includes:
- Health and Safety
- Carrying out engineering activities efficiently and effectively
- Using and communication technical information
- Plus additional relevant engineering modules
The programme will also cover:
- Work preparation training
- English and Maths qualifications (if required)
- High quality work experience
Every student will take part in a meaningful work experience placement with one our of partners. The placement will be designed to help you put your learning into practice and will offer a valuable opportunity to get a taste of the real world of work, feedback from engineering mentors and the chance to see for yourself what an apprenticeship or job in engineering might be like.
Our partners include Adient, Baker Hughes, Beamish, Cummins, Dyer Engineering, EDM Zone, Ford Engineering, Graphic Packaging, Kavli, Liebherr, National Oilwell Varco, Towne Lifting and Testing, Tyneside Safety Glass, Tyneside Standards, Unipres.
When you finish the course, you can:
- Apply for manufacturing apprenticeships, we'll help you to find a vacancy that's right for you
- Progress to the Ford Engineering Academy Level 2 to further develop your skills.
You will require an assessment and interview to assess your level
You'll need good communication skills, plenty of enthusiasm and the ability to work with other people.
There may be other fees for safety boots and overalls. We'll let you know about this during the enrolment process.
This course is free to those aged under 19 years old.
Most people aged 19 years and over can qualify for free or reduced price course fees and there are grants and bursaries you can apply for to help cover the costs of coming to college, depending on your circumstances.
If you already have a full level 3 qualification and are aged 19 years over, you can apply for an Advanced Learning Loan or pay the fee upfront in full and qualify for a 10% discount.
You can get more information at our enrolment events, by calling 0191 490 2246 or email us at email@example.com
Whatever support you need, we’re here for you and will make sure you get the most out of your time at college.
We have expert teams in place to look after every single one of our students.
Our specialist teams can help with:
- Learning difficulties
- Physical and sensory disabilities
- Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, ADHD, Aspergers or other specific learning difficulties
- Mental health and well being
- Exam access arrangements
- Money, finance and bursary advice
- Careers advice, job and university applications