Ford Engineering Academy Level 2
Mon Sep 04 2023
Day / Time
Ford Engineering, one of the most successful engineering businesses in our region, has teamed up with Gateshead College to set up the Ford Engineering Academy. Designed to help you to build the skills, knowledge and confidence employers are looking for, the academy will put you in the best possible position to go onto successfully secure an engineering or manufacturing apprenticeship or your first job in the industry.
- Training programme designed by one of the most successful engineering companies in our region
- Practical skills training based on what employers want
- High quality work experience placement
- Embedded English and maths skills
- Support to help you secure an apprenticeship
About the academy
Pioneered by the late Geoff Ford MBE, the academy was set up to give young people the skills, knowledge and experience they need to start a successful engineering career or find an apprenticeship. As Chairman of Ford Engineering, a multi-million pound business that supplies precision-machined components to the global aerospace market, Geoff recognised a need to provide good quality, foundation training that focused on developing both the skills and attitudes that employers are looking for and was passionate about developing a skilled engineering workforce of the future.
The year long programme will include the key skills and knowledge of engineering:
- Engineering environment awareness
- Engineering techniques
- Engineering principles
- Electrical and electronic systems and devices
- Turning and milling techniques and technology
- Understanding Computer Aided Drawing (CAD)
The qualification will also cover:
- Work preparation training
- English and maths qualifications (if required)
- High quality work experience
This qualification gives you knowledge and understanding of a broad
range of engineering
competencies. It covers the intermediate knowledge, understanding and skills that are required by
someone working in the engineering industry. It takes a hands-on approach to intermediate engineering training by providing you with:
• Knowledge and understanding of a range of engineering competencies.
• Information that will help you make more informed decisions about your career options.
• Personal skills to help you work effectively and achieve you potential.
You will take part in a meaningful work experience placement with one our of partners. The placement will be designed to help you put your learning into practice and will offer a valuable opportunity to get a taste of the real world of work, feedback from engineering mentors and the chance to see for yourself what an apprenticeship or job in engineering might be like.
Our partners include Adient, Baker Hughes, Beamish, Cummins, Dyer Engineering, EDM Zone, Ford Engineering, Graphic Packaging, Baker Hughes, Liebherr, National Oilwell Varco, Towne Lifting and Testing, Tyneside Safety Glass, Tyneside Standards.
When you finish the course, you can:
- Apply for manufacturing or engineering apprenticeships, we'll help you find a vacancy that's right for you
- Progress to our Level 3 Engineering course if you're not yet ready for the world of work and want to further develop your skills.
You will need 3 GCSEs at grade 3 or above in maths, English and a Science subject.
You will require an assessment and interview to assess your level
This course is free to those aged under 19 years old.
Most people aged 19 years and over can qualify for free course fees and there are grants and bursaries you can apply for to help cover the costs of coming to college, depending on your circumstances.
For one to one advice, contact our friendly team who will assess your individual circumstances and give you the right information. You can contact them on Call 0191 490 2430 or email email@example.com or via Live Chat. Or pop along to one of our Enrolment Events.
Whatever support you need, we’re here for you and will make sure you get the most out of your time at college.
We have expert teams in place to look after every single one of our students.
Our specialist teams can help with:
- Learning difficulties
- Physical and sensory disabilities
- Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, ADHD, Aspergers or other specific learning difficulties
- Mental health and well being
- Exam access arrangements
- Money, finance and bursary advice
- Careers advice, job and university applications