Level 1 Sport
Mon Sep 07 2020
Day / Time
Academy for Sport
This course is perfect for you if you want to start a career in the sport and active leisure industry. You’ll study all aspects of how and where to participate in sport, look at improving fitness, healthy lifestyle, sport in the workplace and working safely. We’ll help you to develop the skills that show your potential to an employer. This includes how you can use your knowledge to best effect, that you have the right attitude, high standards and will be a great asset to their business.
The course is broken down into two strands, each made up of individual
Participating in sport:
- Improving fitness
- Leading a healthy lifestyle
- Taking part in sport
Recognising opportunities for participation:
- People skills in sport and active leisure
- Understanding the active leisure sector
- Working safely in sport and active leisure
English and maths
You will also study towards an English or maths GCSE alongside the sport course with our expert teaching team.
Personal and Social Development
You'll take part in lessons that focus on topics outside the sport sector such as completing job applications and personal finance.
You will have the opportunity to join of one of our nine sport academies, where you will get:
• Up to 9 hours of professional training each week, access to
competitions and specialist sport academy coaches
• Free access to physiotherapy assessments and treatment
• The opportunity to compete in local, national and international competitions
• A personalised training and development programme
Academy sports available are: mens football, womens football, mens rugby,
womens rugby, netball, basketball, boxing, athletics and cricket and all
academies can cater from participation level right up to elite athletes. All
academy members will be given free Adidas kit worth £79. If you do not wish to
join one of our academies, you will undertake an employment related project
designed to develop further your employability skills.
Throughout the course, we'll monitor your progress and provide constructive feedback to help you to improve where needed. We'll measure your skills and knowledge against nationally recognised standards specific to the sport sector. We assess you in a range of ways including projects from which you'll create a portfolio of evidence and practical tasks such as taking part in sports, fitness tests and customer service interviews.
Each student will undertake a 30 hour work placement or participate in work readiness activities.
• Classrooms equipped with integrated IT
• Sports science and sports therapy facilities
• Performance lab
• Aerobics studio
• Combat studio
• Learning resource centre
• Student run fitness suite
• 83m long athletics hall
• Outdoor artificial and grass pitches floodlit throwing area
This course is free to those aged under 19 years old.
Most people aged 19 years and over can qualify for free or reduced price course fees and there are grants and bursaries you can apply for to help cover the costs of coming to college, depending on your circumstances.
If you already have a full level 3 qualification and are aged 19 years over, you can apply for an Advanced Learning Loan or pay the fee upfront in full and qualify for a 10% discount.
You can get more information at our enrolment events, by calling 0191 490 2246 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Whatever support you need, we’re here for you and will make sure you get the most out of your time at college.
We have expert teams in place to look after every single one of our students.
Our specialist teams can help with:
- Learning difficulties
- Physical and sensory disabilities
- Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, ADHD, Aspergers or other specific learning difficulties
- Mental health and well being
- Exam access arrangements
- Money, finance and bursary advice
- Careers advice, job and university applications