Applications for 22/23 academic year are now open. 

You can access the application form here.

Read our guide: Financial information and advice for 19+ year olds here.

View terms and conditions for all support funds here.

Guidance Notes 

Sections 1&2

Complete all required questions.

Section 3 

Residency Evidence requirements (E) 

If you are an EU National or migrant worker we require evidence of your passport/settled status. 

If you have been granted status in the UK please provide copies of any notification from the Home Office that clearly identifies your status. Any evidence must clearly show your name. 

If you are an asylum seeker, we require evidence that your initial claim for asylum has been outstanding for at least 6 months and a decision has not yet been made. This may be a recent letter from your solicitor or your ARC card together with a post office receipt (this must be dated within one month). 

If you have been refused status and have appealed against this decision, your appeal must be outstanding for at least 6 months. We require evidence of the date your appeal was made, and a recent letter from your solicitor confirming that your appeal is still outstanding. 

If you have been granted section 4 support please submit the letter from the Home Office clearly stating this. The letter must be dated within the last 3 months. Any evidence must clearly show your name. 

If your claim for asylum has been refused and you have not been granted status in the UK and you do not receive section 4 support, you are not eligible for this fund. 

If you are an international student you are not eligible for this fund. 

If your status is not mentioned, it does not necessarily mean that you do not qualify. 

Declare what your status is in the UK and any evidence you have to support this. We may need to contact you. 

Section 4 

Personal statement 

Use this section to explain why you need support. You can detail any special circumstances in this section. You or your family may be on low income. There may have been a recent redundancy or drop in income. Even if your income is quite high, your household may have high expenditure. You can continue on a separate sheet if necessary. 

Section 5 

Disabilities or caring responsibilities 

You may detail in this section any circumstances, special requirements or personal issues that you think we should consider when assessing your award. We may consult with our Learning Support Team to ensure that your specific needs are catered for where appropriate. 

Section 6 

Personal status 

Number of people in the household Only count yourself, your partner if you have one and any children living with you who you are responsible for (i.e. who are under 19 or you are claiming child benefit for them). 

Section 7 

Income Evidence requirements (E) 

We only require evidence of your income and that of your partner if you have one. If you or your partner claim any of the benefits listed, please provide photocopied evidence. This can be a letter from the local authority, notification from the DWP/Jobcentre Plus, Pensions Service or HM Revenue & Customs for other benefits. 

If you are living at home and do not claim benefits or work, you must state how you are supporting yourself and provide evidence such as a bank statement in support of your application. 

If you are under 25 we may ask for evidence of your parent(s)/carer(s) income if they are supporting you. If you are in receipt of section 4 support or asylum support you may already have provided your evidence for section 3. 

Evidence of household income can be: Photocopies of recent payslips for you and your partner if you have one. If also claiming Working Tax Credit the most recent tax credit notification or if claiming Universal Credit recent full award summary. Any other earnings that form the main household income for example a pension. 

Do not include: Disability Living Allowance, attendance allowance or discretionary payments from Local Authority. Section 8 Support required. If you are claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance, Universal Credit or Employment and Support Allowance, you may qualify for help with travel and/or childcare through the Jobcentre Plus. Please enquire about this prior to completing this application. 

19+Bursary – if you are aged 19+ studying on a full time Level 2/3/4 course and not claiming out of work benefits (other conditions may apply). Interview may be required. 

We require a bank letter/statement showing your sort code and account number as all payments will be made directly into your account. We cannot make payments to post office or saving accounts. 

Section 10 


You need to compete the first part of this section and submit evidence for your child(ren). Your childcare provider then needs to complete the section for the rates. We also require a copy of their OFSTED certificate. If you do have a partner, please explain why they cannot care for your child(ren) whilst you are at college.