Learning Support Service

We welcome the introduction of the Equality Act 2010, and we are committed to meeting all of its requirements.

Our Learning Services Manager is available to discuss individual requirements for those who have additional needs, and provide advice, including information about DSA (The Disabled Student's Allowance).

Alternatively you can get further information about DSAs (and download a copy of Bridging the Gap) by clicking here.

Our Disability Statement will help you to make an informed decision about choosing to study here.

You will be assessed on your academic ability for the course you wish to study.

If you need support:

If you think you might need extra support make sure you let us know as early as possible.

Call us on  0191 490 2253 or 0191 490 2213 (minicom).

We can offer:

  • Personalised and bespoke support, in and out of class to meet your additional support needs
  • Individualised and tailor made student support, in and out of class
  • Assistance through the use of a range of specialist equipment
  • Advice and assistance with access, resources and materials
  • Liaison with parents and carers, schools and external support agencies
  • Support with personal care
  • Support at meal and break times

Please contact John Chambers, Head of Department for High Needs Learners at [email protected]

Specialist staff can provide advice and support if you have a specific learning difficulty (SpLD), have expressed concern about an SpLD or have been identified by teaching staff as possibly having an SpLD. 

For additional information on the support we can provide, please call Anna Askwith on 0191 490 2331 or email [email protected].

Gateshead Council’s Local Offer page can be viewed by clicking here.  

It provides information for children and young people with special educational needs and their parents or carers.

This is published in accordance with the SEND Code of Practice (2014) and is a central place of information about provision available across education, health and social care for children and young people in Gateshead who have SEN (Special Educational Needs), or are disabled, including those who do not have Education, Health and Care (EHC) plans.