Our degrees, HNDs and HNCs cost a lot less than you might think. Plus, there's lots of grants and loans available for full time and part time students. 



You do not need to pay these up front and may be eligible for a fees loan which will be paid direct to the college. 

In addition to the fees loan, you may apply for extra financial support. For a quick estimate of what support you might expect to receive try the student finance calculator https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator


Maintenance Loan for full time courses

This is to help with living costs. The maximum amount you can borrow depends upon where you live and part of the loan depends on household income.

  • Living at home – up to £7,529 for the year
  • Living away from home – up to £8,944 for the year


Maintenance Loan for part time courses (for course starting after 1st August 2018)

This is to help with living costs.  How much you can get depends on where you live while studying, your household income and your course intensity


Adult Dependants' Grants (ADG) – full time only

You can apply for an Adult Dependants' Grant if you have a partner or another adult who depends on you financially.  You can get up to £3,007 a year depending on your household income, which is your income plus the income of your dependants (including your husband, wife or partner).  Your personal circumstances, for example if you’re married or have children and what other grants you’re receiving, for example Childcare Grant


Parents' Learning Allowance (PLA) – full time only

This helps with course-related costs if you have dependent children.  You can get up to £1,716 a year depending on your income and the income of your husband, wife or partner and any dependant.


Childcare Grant (CCG) – full time only

You can apply for help to pay your childcare costs. You could get up to 85% of your weekly costs – a maximum of £ £169.31 per week for one child, or £290.27 per week if you have two or more children.  If either you or your partner get the childcare element of Working Tax Credit or Universal Credit, or Tax-Free Childcare from HM Revenue & Customs, you won’t be able to get Childcare Grant as well, but you can choose to get it instead.


Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs)

DSAs are to cover some of the extra costs you have because of a mental health problem, long term illness or any other disability.  You can get the allowances on top of your other student finance. You won’t need to repay DSAs.  How much you get depends on your individual needs and NOT your household income.


How much and when do I repay?

You’ll have to repay anything you borrow, but it works a bit differently than you might expect. How much you repay each month depends on your income, not how much you borrowed.

You won’t have to repay anything until you’re earning over a certain amount, which is currently £25,000 a year. If you earn less than that, you won’t have to repay anything. If you’re earning more than that, we’ll work out your repayments at 9% of your income over that amount.

By the time you start repaying, the amounts will be different, but have a look at the table to see some examples of what you might repay based on the current threshold of £25,000 a year:

Annual salary Monthly repayment
£22,000 £0
£25,000 £0
£27,000 £15
£30,000 £37
£32,000 £52

What about interest?

You‘re charged interest from the day your first payment is made until your loan is repaid in full or cancelled. The interest rate applied to your loan is updated once a year in September, meaning it may increase or decrease.

The interest rate you pay is based on:

1. The UK Retail Price Index (RPI) - currently at 3.3%; and

2. Your circumstances.

Your circumstances



While you’re studying

Full-time students - While you’re studying and until 6 April after you finish or leave your course.

Part-time students – While you’re studying, up until the April after leaving your course or the April four years after the start of your course, whichever comes first.

Retail Price Index (RPI) plus 3%

Once you’ve left your course

From 6 April after leaving your course until the loan is repaid in full

Interest will be based on your income:

  • £25,000 or less = RPI
  • between £25,001 and £45,000 = RPI plus up to 3% depending on your income
  • over £45,000 = RPI plus 3%

If you don’t keep your details up to date

If you don’t respond to our requests for information or evidence.

RPI plus 3% will be applied to your loan, whatever your income, until we have all the information we need.

The RPI figure will be updated in September based on the RPI figure in March of that year.

All 2019/20 policy is subject to Parliamentary approval.


More Information

If you visit https://www.gov.uk/student-finance for more information and details on how to apply.  Don't wait until you have a place confirmed before applying for finance. You can change any details later if you need to.

Students can find a range of tools, videos and guides to help you apply quickly and successfully by visiting www.thestudentroom.co.uk/studentfinance


Additional Financial Support

The Access to Learning Fund (ALF) provides discretionary financial assistance for FULL and PART time students to help you access and remain in higher education.  Any help you receive from the fund is usually non-repayable.  Please contact the Support Funds Team on 0191 490 4627 or email support.funds@gateshead.ac.uk for more information.